Thursday 5 June 2014

FOUND - Buffalos: The Next Big Thing



Sometimes luck, karma and memories enable fashion to find you, no hunting required. As kids, my sister and I wore shoes we called Buffalo sandals, leather and suede wedges that made our tanned legs look miles long. Leave that for a moment. Recently while visiting family in Del Ray Beach, Florida I found a pair of red boots at a 2nd-hand shop on a rack marked All $10! I snapped them up before the shopkeeper could change her mind. The workmanship was impressive but I'd never heard of the maker - Kork-Ease. Post holiday research revealed they're the original designers of what I call Buffalo sandals (www.korkease.com). Founded in Brooklyn NY, Kork-Ease hit it big in the 60s after debuting the cork-wedge sandal, later introducing the 70s suede wedge of my childhood and finally the boots I found in Florida. So I nearly fainted when just months after the holiday, while trolling my local TK Maxx, I came across Kork-Ease wedges like those I'd seen on the brand's website and wore as a teenager. Today the shoes retail for US$140 but ole' Maxxy was offering them for £39.99. A snip for such a stylish blast from my past. These are a cool boutique brand that fashion mags will soon be heralding. Get your Buffalo sandals at a TK Maxx shop or at www.tkmaxx.com. Start a stampede!           

No comments: