Saturday 28 June 2014

FOUND - City of the Future Visit


I love cities; city breaks, cityscapes, city life, city style - it all appeals. I've been to the biggies - NYC, Paris, Rome, Moscow. I live in London but have also inhabited Cleveland, LA, DC, and Harare. I've visited Johannesburg, Krakow, Barcelona, Antwerp, Lille, Venice, Edinburgh, Lisbon and Bruges. I've been to Phnom Penh, Saigon and Osaka. I've seen Tijuana and Bulawayo. But I've never been to Tel Aviv. Rather than Israel's second city, I found this souvenir box in a charity shop on the Kent coast. Turns out Tel Aviv boasts the largest collection of Bauhaus buildings in the world (examples are on the box). Nicknamed The White City, Tel Aviv was the home to German Jewish architects who came to the area in the 30s after the rise of the Nazis and it's they who are responsible for the 4,000 Bauhaus structures in the city centre. This kitschy box is the perfect house for my earrings. It cost £3. 

No comments: