Monday 5 January 2015

TRY THIS - Exhibit V&A: Walk This Way


I found this large coffee table book about shoes at the Oxfam on Marylebone Road. A dream shop, three quarters of its floor space is shelves of well-organized books while the remaining quarter is given over to high quality 2nd-hand clothing and accessories. Recently while in New York City I popped into the Killer Heels exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum CLICK HERE. Among other spectacular items, I was able to view up close the famed shoe-hat fashioned by personal style hero Elsa Schiaparelli. If you're planning a trip to the Big Apple do not overlook Brooklyn and its impressive museum. Along with a herd of historic footwear, the museum boasts a quirky gift shop where I walked away with this soleful bracelet made of plastic Barbie shoes. Buying new is not my style, but occasionally I give pristine fashions a 2nd chance. Interestingly in June, Shoes: Pleasure & Pain opens at the V&A in London CLICK HERE. I'm looking forward to the fancy footwork sure to be on show. Exhibits like these inspire our dress sense but also remind us that fashion marches in step with history and human endeavor. The shoe book was £8.99. 

To follow the V&A's 
Pleasure & Pain Blog CLICK HERE 

2 comments:

Scrapiana said...

Ah, nice find! I've found several interesting shoe books in charity shops, the latest by the founding curator of the BATA shoe museum in Toronto (picture here: http://instagram.com/p/vnpmrGKo91/?modal=true). Thanks for the heads-up on the V&A exhibition which sounds unmissable. Brookyn's a little beyond my usual orbit, but I'll pencil in a day in London to soak up the Pleasure & Pain treasures. Thanks again.

Anmarie said...

Gorgeous book and only £1.50! Less than the price of a glossy magazine. I'm trying to buy fewer fash rags in the new year so 2nd-hand style books like these really help. See you at the V&A ;)