Thursday 5 March 2015

FOUND - Anchored to Coastline Style


I found this skirt at Anchors Aweigh Vintage on my 48-hour whirl through Whitstable. It's from Selfridges, not as old as it looks, I'd say 1980s (after 1950s). In mint condition, it is quite simply my dream skirt. Tartan, taffeta and full of swirly twirl-ablity, I can't wait to style this stunner. To keep it from looking like a full-on 50s costume, I'll pair it with a dark, fitted denim shirt and creamy vintage heels. Add an armload of bracelets (naturally) and a tanned leather Gucci clutch, and I'll have an outfit that floats my boat.  


My delight in this skirt is buoyed by the tiny shop where I found it. Located at 65 Harbor Street in the town centre, Anchors Aweigh is a collection of perfectly curated home and fashion pieces - small but neat as a pin.


The owner is chatty, welcoming and helpful. She informed me that once a week she completely changes out the stock - I get the sense she's got stacks of stylish stuff. And according to the marketing flyer, Anchors Aweigh Vintage "buys and sells vintage clothing, accessories and homeware by the sea!" No visit to wonderful Whitstable would be complete without calling in at Anchors Aweigh.


My new favourite skirt was £35 - a vintage bargain at twice the price. The shop is open Monday to Sunday, closed on Wednesday. 

No comments: